Steve Stuebner has a hearty appetite for exploring the mountains and rivers of Idaho. His interests include hiking, biking, whitewater boating, canoeing, fishing, camping, skiing, hockey, and most of all, being a Dad.
By day, Steve is a public relations and marketing professional through his business, Steve Stuebner PR & Marketing. Visit Steve’s PR/Marketing page for more information on his professional services.
Steve’s best-sellers include:
- Boise Trail Guide: 90 Hiking & Running Routes Close to Home completes a trilogy of outdoor guidebooks that Steve has published for the greater Boise area. See video.
- The Owyhee Canyonlands: An Outdoor Adventure Guide
- Mountain Biking in McCall, a guide to 40 rides in the Payette National Forest and Valley County.
- Boise Road Cycling Guide, the first and only road cycling guide for the Boise Valley.
- Mountain Biking in Boise, 5th ed., a guide to 65 rides in the greater Boise Foothills area.
- Paddling the Payette, a guide to 23 day trips in the Payette River Basin, located 30 minutes from Boise.
Steve also is the author of Mountain Biking Idaho (Falcon Guide), so he’s spent a ton of time riding diverse trails throughout the great state of Idaho. He is an authority on Idaho rivers as the author of Salmon River Country (Caxton Press) and Paddling the Payette. He’s also a former licensed river guide.
Beyond guidebooks, Steve penned an award-winning biography on Morley Nelson, a widely acclaimed national champion for birds of prey, titled Cool North Wind (Caxton Press). Steve wrote the essays for Idaho Impressions, a coffee table book about Idaho’s beauty and cultural landscapes with the ever-talented Mark Lisk.
Steve has a journalism and history degree from the University of Montana. He worked for the La Grande Observer in Oregon, the Colorado Springs Sun in Colorado and the Idaho Statesman before setting up his own professional writing business in the early 1990s.
From 1991-2002, Steve worked under his own shingle as a professional writer, PR consultant and book publisher. During this time, Steve wrote for a wide variety of newspapers and magazines, including The New York Times, Outside, National Wildlife, The Intelligence Report, Columbia Journalism Review and High Country News.
Steve is the father of two boys, Quinn and Drew. They live in Boise with Steve and his life partner Wendy Wilson, and Wendy’s two children, Tom and Elena. The family loves to flock to their cabin in McCall whenever possible.